In today’s business world, it is more important than ever to ensure that your employees are who they say they are. This is especially true when it comes to workers who will be working from home. It can be difficult to fully vet a remote worker before hiring them. However, there are some things you can do to help make sure you are getting the best possible employee. So when looking for remote workers, it is important to do a background check on them.
- Are Employers Allowed to Do a Background Check on Remote Workers Anytime?
- Background Checks for Remote Workers: Why Is It Important?
- What to Consider before Running a Background Check on Remote Workers?
Are Employers Allowed to Do a Background Check on Remote Workers Anytime?
There is no law that specifically prohibits employers from conducting background checks on remote workers, but there is no legal precedent either. Because of this, it is up to each employer to decide whether or not they want to conduct a background check on their remote workers. Some employers may feel that a background check is necessary in order to ensure that their remote workers are safe and trustworthy, while others may choose not to conduct one for fear of liability. However, there are a few things that need to be put into consideration.
- It is illegal to run a background check on a remote worker without informing the candidate first.
- In most cases, you must provide reasonable notice before conducting any type of background check, which may include contacting the candidate’s previous employers. If you fail to notify the candidate, you could be liable for damages.
- Additionally, running a background check without consent could result in your company being fined or even shut down.
When partnering with a company that runs background checks on remote workers, see to it that they understand the different regulations followed by the different states. So for background checks that you can trust, be sure to contact Impeccable Background Solutions.
Background Checks for Remote Workers: Why Is It Important?
Remote work has become more popular, especially since the pandemic started and as companies try to find ways to save money and from long commutes. However, many companies do not have the resources or personnel to conduct proper background checks on their remote workers. This leaves companies to hire employees who are unreliable in some way. That is why background checks are necessary for any remote worker for the following reasons.
- These individuals may be working with sensitive or confidential information.
- Additionally, remote workers should be aware of potential cyber threats and scams, which could occur if they are not adequately protected.
- The rise of remote work has also created new security risks not seen in the office. This is because remote employees are often not as careful about their online security and may not have the same level of protection against cyber attacks as those who are physically present in the office.
- By conducting a background check on remote workers, you can ensure that they are safe and qualified to work with your company’s confidential information.
What to Consider before Running a Background Check on Remote Workers?
There are a few things to consider before conducting background checks on remote workers.
The Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA)
The Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) is a federal law that protects workers’ rights when conducting a background check. The FCRA establishes guidelines for how employers can obtain background reports on potential employees. The law requires that potential employees be provided with a copy of their report, and the employee has the right to challenge any inaccurate information.
Employers must also follow up on any inquiries made about an applicant’s history within 30 days. If an employer fails to comply with any of the FCRA’s requirements, they may be subject to fines. It is also important to consider that the laws may differ across the different states.
Hiring an Outside Company
There are a few factors to consider when deciding whether or not to conduct a background check on remote workers yourself or hire an outside company to do it. These factors include the following:
- The cost. Conducting a background check yourself can be relatively inexpensive while hiring an outside company can be more expensive.
- The speed of the process. If you want your background check completed quickly, conducting it yourself may be the better option. However, if you need more time to review the results, hiring an outside company may be preferable.
- The level of comfort with doing this type of research. If you are uncomfortable with researching someone’s past, hiring an outside company may be a better option for you.
How Can We Help You?
Vetting a remote worker can be tricky, but there are some things you can do to help make sure you are getting the best possible employee. Make sure you ask for as much information as possible and research any potential employee carefully. But a much better way to do this is getting help from the experts when it comes to background checking.
Now make the right decision for your company by hiring the best remote workers with the help of Impeccable Background Solutions. Rest assured that our system is not algorithm-based and we don’t provide you with automated background checks. What we offer are real checks conducted by our expert network of record retrievers instead. So see for yourself why we are trusted in all 159 counties across Georgia by sending us a message.